Applicant should obtain prior approval for Residence visa from the Department of Immigration & Emigration by submitting relevant documents and is eligible to obtain Visit visa from this Mission by presenting the letter of approval issued by the Department of Immigration & Emigration of Sri Lanka. Please note that the Visit Visa holder is not eligible for conversion his/her Visit Visa into Residence Visa.
Foreigners married to Sri Lankan citizens can apply to extend their Visit visas or conversion of Visit visa into Residence visa. However the decision will be made by the Department of Immigration & Emigration of Sri Lanka.
- Expatriate personnel whose services are required for projects approved by the State.
- Expatriate personnel employed in projects under Board of Investment of Sri Lanka.
- A foreign national- wishing to invest monetary capital or- engage in business activities in Sri Lanka.
- Members of the Clergy.
- Religious Workers and Religious Students.
- Volunteers (voluntary engaged for social service or emergency rehabilitation process etc).
- Personnel attached to Non-Governmental Organizations.
- Foreign students studying at: – Universities – Educational Institutions approved by the State- Other Institutions
- Ex Sri Lankans.
- Spouses of Sri Lankans.
- Children of Sri Lankans but holding foreign nationality.
Documents required for the above categories
|Recommendation of Line Ministry / BOI
|Recommendation of NGO Secretariat
|Recommendation of Ministry of Higher Education in case of University Students
|Letter from Institution, relevant Embassy and enhancement receipt to the value of US$ 1500/- a year, in case of other Students
|Passport with the Application
|Marriage Certificate and documentary proof of Citizenship of the Sri Lankan spouse
|In case of foreign spouse:
|A letter from the relevant Mission representing his or her country in Sri Lanka confirming civil status, divorce decree (when applicable)
|A police report from the country of domicile
|Birth Certificate and parent’s Marriage Certificate if the birth is not registered with the Ministry of Defense, Public Security, Law and Order
Period of Validity
One year (Initial issue). Renewable annually.
Residence Visas will not be issued to
- A deportee
- A person over staying beyond the given period
- A person who has committed an offence under the Immigration and Emigration Act
- A person against whom an adverse report has been received, unless the applicant has been cleared of such charge
Issuing Visit Visas for Residence Visas applicants by the Embassy
List of Required Documents
- Visa Application Form B
- Residence Visa approval letter from the Department of Immigration & Emigration.
- Valid Passport with a copy – unexpired validity of the Travel Document should cover at least a period of six (06) months from the date of departure from Sri Lanka.
- Three (03) color photographs (Bust size approximately 3.5 x 4.5 cm)
- Documentary proof of purpose of Residence Visa applying
- Evidence of the financial status of applicant
- Air ticket or travel itinerary
- Requirments mentioned in p. 5 to p. 7 above will be considered as per the approval of the Department of Immigration & Emigration of Sri Lanka
- Relevant Fees for Entry visa (Schedule B).
The Consular Department is open to the public from 9.00 to 16.00 hours.
|from 9.00 to 12.30 hours
|– Documents Acceptance
|from 14.00 to 16.00 hours
|– Issuance of Documents