Foreign nationals, who intend to visit Sri Lanka for Short Stay, must obtain Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA), prior to their arrival with effect from 01.01.2012. The ETA is issued through on-line system. No passport copies, documents or photograph are required. There is no requirement to endorse the ETA in the passport.
- To apply please log in to www.eta.gov.lk
- ETA processing fee is $35 for Tourist Visa with Double Entry for 30 days.
- No ETA processing fee will be charged from tourists who spend maximum of 48 hours in the country.
- No ETA processing fee will be charged from children under 12 years for visit of 30 days.
- Please be informed that the processing fee will be accepted only in US Dollars.
Purposes considered for short visit to Sri Lanka
- Holiday visits
- Short business trips
Validity of ETA
The ETA is initially limited to 30 days from the date of arrival and it may be extended up to six (06) months in two instances at the Department of Immigration and Emigration (Head Office – No 41, Ananda Rajakaruna Mawatha, Punchi Borella, Colombo 10) of Sri Lanka. ETA holder is entitled to enter Sri Lanka within six months from the date of issue of ETA
How to apply
Log on to the web www.eta.gov.lk and fill in the ETA application form
- Apply through Travel Agents or Airlines
- Tour operators
- Registered agents
- Head office of the Department of Immigration and Emigration
- ETA counter at the airport (will apply additional fee)
If the application is submitted successfully, an acknowledgement will be sent to the principle applicant or to the third party as requested in the application. In the event of ETA being rejected the system will send a referral notification to the applicant and he/she needs to contact the nearest Sri Lanka Overseas Mission for necessary assistance. If ETA is granted, the applicant will be notified accordingly. It is advisable for you to bring a copy of ETA approval notice along with you. Further, you should fulfill the following requirements at the port of entry:
- A Passport valid for not less than 6 months from the date of arrival;
- A Confirmed Return ticket;
- Sufficient funds to meet the expenses during the stay
Successful applicants will obtain Visit visas for up to three (03) months period issued by the Mission under the Law of Immigrants and Emigrants Act No. 20 of 1948 of Sri Lanka and its Regulations and Subsequent Amendments, after paying the necessary fees and if there is no objection from local authorities.
If any foreign national desires to visit Sri Lanka for purposes other than tourism, i.e. category of multiple entries, business including short visits such as trainings and meetings, working, residence and journalists should obtain prior approval from the Department of Immigration and Emigration of Sri Lanka case by case. This Mission will grant Entry / Visit visas for these categories after receiving the approval from the Department of Immigration and Emigration of Sri Lanka.
Note: Unexpired validity of the Travel Document should cover beyond a period of six (06) months from the date of departure from Sri Lanka.
For more information go to the official webpage of the Department of Immigration and Emigration of Sri Lanka www.immigration.gov.lk