Sri Lankan citizens can submit their applications to this Mission for making amendments to their passports to change maiden name after marriage, include professional affiliation etc.
The Mission will not accept applications to change name and surname in the passports or to paste a new photograph into the passport in case if previous photograph is damaged or old. Applicants are advised to apply for a new passport submitting the required documents.
List of Required Documents
- Letter of request
- Passport with a copy of alterations pages
- Sufficient proof for visa
- Application Form O for amending a Sri Lanka travel document
- Originals of birth certificate and marriage certificate with their copies, if required to change maiden name. These certificates should be countersigned by the Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Sri Lanka and the translations of certificates will not be accepted for amendments even if the certificates are certified by the Consular Division
- National Identity Card (if available) with copies of both sides
- Professional certificate with its copy if the applicant needs profession to be included into his/her passport. This document should be issued by the relevant authority (for example, for medical practitioners – Registration certificate of Medical Council of Sri Lanka. If the applicant is not registered in the Medical Council of Sri Lanka but works as a medical practitioner in a hospital of the country of domicile, he/she can submit a letter obtained from the Director of the relevant hospital with the certification of the Ministry of Health of appropriate country. For other professionals a letter obtained from the employer indicating the profession of the applicant should be also provided. For students a letter from the university should be provided to specify the specialty in passport authenticated by the Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the relevant country. Otherwise, the profession will not be included in the passport.
- Relevant Fees
The Consular Section is open to the public from 09.00 to 16.00 hours.