Sri Lankans by Descent or Registration are eligible to apply for a passport.
List of Required Documents
- Letter of request
- Duly filled application Form K with the annexure for photos and signatures. All the information should be furnished as required in the application .
- Three (03) color photographs (3.5 X 4.5 cm). Both ears should appear and the background of the picture should not be black or dark.
- Original Birth Certificate countersigned by the Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs with a copy. Translations of birth certificates will not be considered as originals.
- National Identity Card with copies of both sides
- Marriage Certificate with a copy (If required to change the maiden name)
- Present passport with copies of all pages (please use both sides of the paper when coping)
- Sufficient proof for visa/residence permit in Poland
- The applicant should come personally to hand over the application
- Professional certificate with a copy if the applicant requires the profession to be included in the passport. This document should be issued by the relevant authority (for example, for medical practitioners – Registration certificate of Medical Council of Sri Lanka. If the applicant is not registered in the Medical Council of Sri Lanka but working as a medical practitioner in a hospital of the country of domicile, he/she can submit a letter obtained from the director of the relevant hospital certified by the Ministry of Health of appropriate country. For other professionals a letter obtained from the employer indicating the profession of the applicant also should be provided. Students should also submit a letter from the university to specify the specialty in the passport authenticated by the Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the relevant Country. Otherwise, the profession will not be included
- Citizenship Certificate with a copy if the applicant is a citizen by registration
- If the application is made after more than one year from the date of expiry of the current passport, applicant is required to submit an official document from the immigration office of the country of domicile confirming the residential status of the applicant
- Relevant Fees
Note: All applications for new passports have to be forwarded to the Controller, Immigration & Emigration, which is the only authority responsible for issuing passports, through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Sri Lanka. This process may take approximately from 06 to 08 weeks.
The following is considered as punishable offence: if found guilty upon prosecution imprisonment for the period from 06 months to 05 years, a fine of Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 200,000 can be imposed.
- Submission of falsified or forged document/s to obtain a travel document
- Applying for a travel document while possessing such a document and / or possession of more than one valid travel document simultaneously
Dispatch of a Sri Lanka travel document through the post, courier or another person from/to Sri Lanka without prior approval of the Controller. For approval written request (in duplicate), courier letter (in duplicate), and passport should be forwarded to the “Suhurupaya”, Sri Subhuthipura Road, Battaramulla, Sri Lanka.
The Consular Department is open to the public from 10.00 to 16.00 hours.
|from 9.00 to 12.30 hours||– Documents Acceptance|
|from 14.00 to 16.00 hours||– Issuance of Documents|